Holly
Many of you may wonder why and what is happening with the holly within Park Wood. Since nearly all of the seriously invasive plants (remember all the Laurel and Bamboo?) have been dealt with by our steady work programmes, most of these areas have been colonised by masses of young Holly, some from seeding but mostly by vigorous suckers from older root systems.

WHY
Holly is native to the wood but now completely dominates many areas, casting really dense shade, preventing virtually all other plants from growing in competition with it, particularly the important ancient ground flora and other underwood, such as Hazel.

WHAT
It was decided we would apply to the Forestry Commission for grant-aid to help us bring the Holly back under control by coppicing. John Stride, the local Woodland Officer inspected the problem and recommended stump treatment to control 90% of the Holly, so all other native species can flourish. This extended action has been accepted as beneficial by the Woodland Trust and Havant Borough Council.

SO
So the plan will tackle this 90% of the Holly by working in different parts of the wood over the next three years. Well formed Holly trees, representing the other 10%, will be retained, although the prolific suckers and lower branches will be removed to allow much more light for the ground flora and to improve visitor visibility.

This will involve felling, treating stumps with Round-Up, debranching, stacking of cordwood and burning of lop and top.

Oak Saplings
Clearance has begun on the scrub under young oaks in the south meadow. The aim is to get rid of saplings that are spindly, diseased or suffered a large amount of squirrel damage. This applies in the front meadow as well. This will give a greater space and opportunity for the stronger saplings to grow into mature oak trees. Again this action has been approved.

All this work will really improve the biodiversity of Park Wood and your woodland experience but please bear with us whilst this is being undertaken OR better still help us in whatever capacity you can.

Work Days

Thank you to all those who came out for the June Work Day, especially the Scouts and their parents who came to help us.  

The next Work Day will be Sunday 28th July, which will include a Teddy Bears Picnic (see below).   The work day will begin at 10 am and as usual, light refreshments, gloves and all tools will be provided, but please remember to wear suitable footwear. 

Future Events

fopw teddybearspicnic

Teddy Bears Picnic - 28th July 2019 - 12 noon to 2 pm on the London Road meadow. 

All are welcome to join in, and you are invited to bring your teddy, your picnic and a rug to sit on.  There will be a Trail to follow through the wood and other activities in the meadow.  We will be giving away chocolate bears and gummy bears and you might be lucky enough to win a beautiful Charlie Bear!  There will be no charge for this event. 

 


News

3rd Party Agreement signed

Following on from the AGM the Third Party Group Agreement between the Woodland Trust and The Friends of Park Wood has now been signed. You can download a PDF of the agreement from this website under the About > Documents menu.

Become a Friend of...

Membership of The Friends of Park Wood is open to anyone interested in keeping this a safe and pleasant place to visit.

Download the membership form here